SureHarvest provides industry-leading professional and technology solutions for growers and agri-food companies that are pursuing sustainability strategies. We focus on scaling our solutions in the specialty crop and agricultural technology space, and we continue to expand our value in related industries. As a division of Where Food Comes From (www.wherefoodcomesfrom.com), the industry leader in third-party certification and verification for the food industry, SureHarvest plays an important role in delivering consulting and software solutions on behalf of the overall company.
We’re a small company making a big impact, and we care as much about our employees as we do about changing the way the world engages with sustainable agriculture. We offer a flexible yet functional work environment. We’re dedicated to continuous improvement of our products and services, our customer experience, and our internal culture.
Director, Science and Sustainable Agriculture
- Manage select strategic client engagements in collaboration with management, and cross-functional software and client engagement teams.
- Work with the client engagement and software teams to establish accurate budgets for select strategic client engagements.
- Develop project objectives and a scope of work for client agreements.
- Lead and execute activities for assigned client projects based on stated deliverables in each scope of work.
- Manage completion of all client deliverables on time and on budget by efficiently allocating time and resources.
- Deploy subject matter expertise working in the agrifood value chain to the benefit of clients and team members.
- Identify grant opportunities associated with funding agencies and foundations.
- Write grants and secure funding as a team member collaborating on grant proposals.
- Monitor grant-specific projects including tracking deliverables, managing budgets, and progress report.
- Liaise with private sector, academia, NGO’s, and government agencies.
- Provide industry thought leadership through proactive participation in industry events, including working groups, seminars, panel discussions, etc.
- Support business development through targeted industry outreach and participation in sales calls.
- Maintain expertise in relevant subject matter and evaluate technical matters related to or affecting agriculture and sustainable production practices.
- Complete consulting solutions deliverables: strategic planning and facilitation, needs assessment reports, feasibility studies, and other analytical reports and presentations.
- Research project funding sources and maintain expertise in market and industry core competencies. Contribute to the development of best practices.
CANDIDATE PROFILE & QUALIFICATIONS
The ideal candidate will be a leader in their respective areas of expertise and a sustainability practitioner with a strong track record of execution and excellence. They will have a grounding in agricultural sciences and applied experience in agricultural production.
- 10+ years of work experience, including team-oriented project management efforts, direct client engagement experience, and a reputation for producing excellent results.
- Ph.D. in relevant agricultural or food science discipline preferred. Candidates with a Master’s-level degree in agricultural sciences will be considered.
- Must have extensive knowledge of agri-food systems and sustainable production practices. Ideally, knowledge encompasses AgTech-related information technologies.
- Must have exceptional communication, collaboration, interpersonal and influencing skills.
- Minimum of 5 years’ working on (or managing) projects with hourly billing cost structures.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience securing and managing grant-funded projects.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in proposal development, with a focus on grant writing.
- Ability to interpret and analyze large datasets using various business analytic and/or statistical software tools.
- Proven problem-solving skills to identify client needs and deliver effective solutions.
- Broad expertise relevant to environmental issues and sustainability standards applicable to the agri-food industry.
- Results-driven, strong attention to detail, and process orientation.
- Solid MS Office Suite, Salesforce, statistics, process (e.g. SmartDraw, LucidChart, etc.) and other business software applications.
- Some experience with software development lifecycle methods (e.g. Agile, Kanban, etc.) preferred.
- Some experience leading project teams preferred.
The ideal candidate must have:
Technical experience in the agri-food sector including sustainable agriculture; a track-record of science-based research and analytical work; excellent communication and collaboration skills; a desire to contribute organizationally; and an advanced degree in a relevant discipline(s).
The office is located in the Santa Cruz area where the position is based. Consideration will be given to candidates located in the San Francisco Bay Area or Central Valley, depending on the current location of the applicant and their ability to travel to the office on a regular basis. We offer a competitive pay and benefits package, a 401K match, and flexible work arrangements. If you want to make an impact and you are passionate about sustainability and exemplary service, send both a resume/CV and cover letter to: HR@sureharvest.com.